The aim of this race is to raise funds for the orphans of South Africa police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty.
Almost daily we hear of the tragic and pointless deaths of brave South Africans serving on the front line of our Police Service, killed in the line of duty. Sadly, we don’t always realise the full implications of their deaths and the destitute families they leave behind, in some instances they are the breadwinners and supporters of more than just their own immediate family.
All funds raised will go to support the education of and a monthly income for these families.
This cause is very close to the heart of our founder Rory Steyn, appointed one of the team leaders of President Nelson Mandela’s personal protection teams at the Presidential Protection Unit in 1996, and who served in the SA Police Service for 17½ years.
“This is my chance to give back to the organisation that I benefitted from to complete my education, give me opportunities that I now enjoy, and instilled in me the disciplines I continue to apply in my life today”
SOURCES OF THE FUND’S INCOME
The Fund obtains its income from:
- Voluntary contributions by SAPS serving and SAPS retired members
- Donations by the public and private companies
- Interest on investments
- Fund-raising projects held in the respective provinces
Benefits offered to Contributors and their Dependents:
- Financial aid to children up to the age of 19 years/Grade 12.
- Financial aid to disabled dependents for as long as necessary.
- Widow/widowers who are in financial need may apply for a term grant.
- A once-off payment to the widow/widower of a serving contributor directly after his/her death.